Friday, February 23, 2007

caminando, caminando

Hola. I don't have much time online, but I realized it's been a little while since I've written, so I thought I'd make a brief entry, and I'll write a longer one soon. I'm still doing well and having a really good experience here. I feel like my praxis is getting easier, though still challenging. Classes are interesting. I just got out of history, where a woman named Olga Serrano came to talk to us. She and her family joined the FMLN when she was 13 years old, and she told her story. It was really interesting. The last two people who spoke to us have been from the right and center-right, and they emphasized communism and Russia so much, but she said they never thought of themselves as communists, and they weren't trying to create a communist government. People can see the same thing very differently. Perhaps the most exciting thing about her talk was that she was amazingly easy to understand. Everyone thought that, so I didn't magically get a lot better at Spanish. It was good though.

In other news, congratulations to Gene Palumbo (our history teacher) and Lupita (one of the women who cook for us) who are getting married!

Don't expect to hear anything from me in the next couple days because we have an Ignatian silent retreat this weekend. I'm soooo excited. And, those who know Ryan E. will get a kick out of the fact that he, the agnostic "If I did believe in God I wouldn't like him" loud loves-to-hear-his-own-voice Ryan, is doing this retreat. That'll be interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger david silver said...

great news about your spanish getting stronger! have a great (silent) retreat.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home