Thursday, February 01, 2007

chivo

It's been practically forever since I've written here! Unfortunately I only have a few minutes before class, so I can't write one of my super-long entries. I'll write more in depth another time, but for now I'll just briefly summarize.I think I last wrote the Sunday before last. That Sunday night I got sick, as did a bunch of other students, and I could barely get out of bed Monday, so I missed my first praxis day. Tuesday I was basically better though still exhausted, but by Wednesday I was fine, and I went to my first day at my praxis site. We taught English in the morning, which was a bit of a challenge because we didn't know ahead of time, but it went fine. In the afternoon we helped out with a computer class (basically I just looked over kids' shoulders to make sure they were doing stuff right). It was a good day. Saturday we went to the beach, which was awesome except I got a really bad sunburn and my shoulders are just starting to recover. It was beautiful and the water was so warm. Sunday a few of us went to Mass at La Chacra, which is one of the praxis sites that a couple students are at. They spend their afternoons with the priest there, Padre Luis. La Chacra is urban and very poor. I loved the Mass there. Padre Luis is really nice and the parish seemed to have a great sense of community. I think I'll try to go there regularly if other people are. Monday was praxis again, and it was more frustrating because we did home visits to people in the community, and I had a really hard time understanding anything people were saying. I just sat there, clueless. It's frustrating because it's a lot harder to learn about the community and people's lives if I can't figure out what they're talking about. I need to have more patience. Yesterday's praxis was a little better because Wednesdays are our class days (English in the morning, computers in the afternoon). The kids learned how to use the application Paint, which was a lot of fun. This weekend is a praxis weekend, so we leave Friday afternoon and come back Sunday afternoon. I'm going to learn how to make pupusas! Yay.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Papusas. Yummeh!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*facepalm* lmao.

I meant pupusas. I know that. Really.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home